Real Estate : Building Value Throughout Economic Cycles
Today’s real estate industry is known for its economic cycles, changing regulations and a highly competitive landscape. From high construction costs, limited opportunities or low occupancy levels with tight lending standards, developers and operators face different challenges each day.
Real Estate Consulting Services
Bennett Thrasher addresses these issues and more on behalf of developers, operators and investors in multi-family, retail, industrial and commercial property. We help our real estate clients build value by:
- Reviewing partnership agreements and tracking capital accounts to ensure compliance with IRS regulations
- Performing cost segregation studies to identify opportunities for accelerated depreciation
- Consulting on the finalized IRS rules regarding expense vs. capitalization of tangible property
- Identifying and claiming tax credits and incentives, such as the 179D tax deduction for energy efficient buildings
- Deferring gain on closely-held property through Section 1031 like-kind exchanges
As an owner, developer, operator or investor in real estate, you need the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are positioned to take advantage of all available opportunities to grow your portfolio while also mitigating your risks.
As a seller, you need to know whether income from the sale of your property qualifies as capital gain, or whether it will be taxed at normal income tax rates. If you’re buying real property, you might worry about whether you will be subject to the new 3.8% net investment income tax. You also are looking to reduce the overall cost of the acquisition, possibly through a cost segregation study.
As a foreign investor in real estate, you need to know that your investment partnership is structured to minimize tax in each jurisdiction, thereby maximizing the return on your investment.
Schedule a Consultation